Tuesday 5 January 2016

If you can't meditate, color! Why coloring is good for your health.

Well, first I have to say I had no idea that coloring books for adults is actually a thing (!) and apparently it is a trend that is catching on fast (seriously, Google it). At the moment, numerous studies are going on to establish whether coloring does really have any health benefit. 
An article I read on The Huffington Post cites Mihály Csíkszentmihályi's (Nope, did not even try pronouncing it) ground-breaking book, Flow, in which the author describes coloring as what is known as an autotelic (heavy word, that) activity, which is to say, it is an immersive and absorbing behavior that is rewarding in and of itself. Engaging in autotelic activities has been shown to improve concentration and a sense of agency. 
Yeah, sounds interesting, I know. 
    Apparently, adult coloring is actually a thing!
Anyhoooo, I'm not here to cite studies and bombard you with all these alien words (and names!) but to tell you my personal experience (and I had no idea about this trend, trust me). Of late, I had been going through some turbulent experiences personally and it had been unnerving me a lot. As luck would have it, my younger brother has his winter vacations and has loads of projects to do, which ultimately have to be done by *surprise surprise* (well, not really) ME.  
So he has loads of scrapbooks to do which means loads of pictures. Yes, so I set down to coloring, painting to be exact and I felt more calm and relaxed than ever. 
And I really don't know what it is and I don't claim to understand the science behind it. But what I do know is that when you sit down to color, first off, you feel a bit relaxed just by looking at those vibrant colors. Also, I'm a huge the-world-is-full-of-rainbows person so I guess that works to my advantage as well. 
That's is not all, I further felt my concentration and my hand eye coordination improving and trust me, I'm the least coordinated person I know (seriously, ask my friends!).
Personally I find it a great way to destress, it is very thereaputic to say the least and I think everyone should give it a shot. Plus, adults coloring never harmed anyone! It is a way better option than sulking or indulging in self pity or I don't know, disturbing the peace of the world. 

Happy coloring!

Here are some of the paintings that I did for his project:

Amer Fort, Rajasthan 

Usain Bolt
Hari Prasad Chaurasia




No comments:

Post a Comment