Sunday 14 February 2016

To the man I love (Valentine's Day special)

To the man I love,

It's been a year since we've been together and we've had our fair share of highs and lows.
When I say I love you, what do I really mean by that? Do I love you for the time when I went down on my knees and asked you out (because you thought it is too clichéd for guys to always do that) or when you hugged me for the first time so that I would stop crying or our first kiss after which you were cracking jokes to make me feel comfortable...is it your smile, your eyes, the beautiful curve of your lips when you speak?
I went down on my knees and asked you out because you thought it was too cliched the other way round!




Maybe all of this...yet my answer would be incomplete. There's a completeness that comes with YOU.

And I have to be honest, you are not my first love. I had my fair share of “loves” before I met you- one passed away in an accident and the other was a control freak who could not match my fierceness. I was angry and dejected at the same time; I did not give up on love but I wasn’t too excited about it either. The first time I saw you? I knew we would end up being just more than friends but to love so unconditionally? I never could have guessed that for I am an insanely selfish person when it comes to love. But you, YOU changed all of that, swept me off my feet (figuratively and LITERALLY!) and in that instance I knew that I was screwed for life. But it did not matter because for what it was worth, I found you- a lover, a listener, a companion but most importantly, a friend. A friend who would encourage me to be better at just being me, who would push me to follow my dreams even though you would not understand most of them but because they meant the world to me. You are the one who will land up at my place with a bucket of ice cream when I’m in pain; you are the one who would miss an important event to be there for my birthday.

It was you who  made me realise that I was never broken to love.
  
And when I say all of this, I do not mean to say that we are the perfect couple or that we never fight. God knows we’ve had our fair share of arguments but the fact that they seem so frivolous when I see you the next day- that is perfect love to me. When I ask you after we make up- “do you think we will make it till the end?” and you just caress me and say “if you trust me.” I trust you. Of course I do. I’m not gonna say you picked up the broken pieces of my heart and made me whole again but you did give me the love that made me realize I wasn’t broken in the first place and for that I love you.
I don’t know if we will make it or not but I sure as hell hope we do because I love you. I love you for the impromptu gigs you break into to make me laugh. I love you for how you treat me like a kid. I love you for the times you suddenly place your hand over mine and whisper that you love me. I love you for everything you do just to me smile. But most importantly, I love you for being you. 


Happy Valentine’s Day, my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment