Sunday 12 June 2016

The Untitled Poem

Sometimes it so happens that you read something, or come across a situation that leaves a profound impact on you and as a writer the only way at times to let go or in a remote sense, 'deal' with the situation is to write about it because writing is the only source of liberation out there for weirdos like me. 
So the past couple of days have been turbulent times coupled with finishing a soul stirring novel, The Pact (Hello, book review!). Anyways, I was basically writing aimlessly and ended up with this. I suppose I have taken a lot of relaxation with the "strict rules" of poetry but pretty sure that it remains within the broad confines of its meaning.
However, I was not able to come up with any suitable title for this work, which is ironic since I am a self professed writer but sometimes words just aren't enough so I just ended up calling it the Untitled Poem which goes like this:

"I saw death from the closest quarters and it was not me who was dying,
'twas someone I love perhaps more than myself; anything else, I would be lying.


First glance at him and I knew I'd found my guardian angel, but today I sat next to him in a vehicle with high pitched sirens, transfixed as roles reversed;
and my blessing turned into my biggest curse. 


I looked into his milky eyes seeing not even a cry for help,
my own cries doused by the sirens or maybe the alarm bells ringing in my head. 


I kept screaming his name and then some more for that's what the doctor told me-
"your words are the only thing keeping him alive, so just talk to him, please."


I was scared to death, an irony of sorts and yet my tears won't fall;
baby I've loved you more than you can ever know and I have to tell you that you're all I had been waiting for...


You can't leave me like this for we've just started and there are too many miles to go, too many places to be
and too many kisses left incomplete. 


He suddenly takes a short breath, breathing a new life into me.
Now the only challenge is to keep those breaths going, till the time we reach..."


- Mrinaal Datt



No comments:

Post a Comment