Monday 18 April 2016

Eulogy for my grandfather


My eulogy speech for my nanu

In the last blog post I wrote about dealing with the loss of a loved one, today I will be sharing my eulogy speech that I wrote for my grandfather (nanu). It was my first experience of witnessing death so closely and it has been difficult.
Anyhow, here is the full text of my speech-

''On the untimely demise of my nanu, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to all of you who have come here and joined our grieving family.
My nanu perhaps needs no introduction for he was an enigmatic personality- disciplined, honest, kind and extremely brave. I have many fond memories of him for he was a constant source of guidance and support to me. He had always motivated me to achieve more and more in life. I am going to miss all of that and more. I was lucky to have met him before he went away. He has left us with a void that can never be filled.
But perhaps the most difficult it has been for my nani, who had been a constant companion and support to my nanu. No one can hardly begin to imagine her pain and I hope God provides her with all the courage to deal with this irreparable loss. We are all with you.
At the end, I only have a small poem to share with you that I would like to dedicate to the departed soul-

'No farewell words were spoken
No time to say goodbye
You were gone before we knew it and only god knows why

My heart aches in sadness and secret tears flow

What it means to lose you, no-one else can know
A presence from our family has gone
A voice we loved is still
A place is vacant in our lives 
That never can be filled
The blow was great
We never thought the end was near
And only those who have lost, can tell
The pain of heartache without farewell
Your memory is our keepsake
From which we will never part
God may have you in his keeping
But we still have you in our heart'''






No comments:

Post a Comment